24 August 2011

Blueberry Cheese Danish Cake


Let me begin by saying this didn't turn out quitteee like it was meant to...I mean if you check out the original recipe's photos it's an absolute beauty! Mine isn't HALF as pretty, but I ain't complaining my friends 'cos the taste is alllll there :) It is a recipe who's aim is to simulate the flavours of a danish cream-cheese pastry...in a cake...yes please!


The noises my Mum made when she first started eating this cake were, well to put it bluntly, noises i'd rather not hear my mother making. There was so much ooh-ing and aah-ing going on I didn't know whether to just be flattered or to take the cake away from her to save my innocent ears. Quote: 'mmmmm, it's so melt in your mouth! This is definitely to be put on the make again list!' Like I need asking to make this again, I only made it 7 hours ago and half of it has gone...woops


I actually quite liked the way my funky version came out, sure it would have been pretty with the berries all on show and cream cheese layer neatly nestled on top, but for some unknown reason mine decided to go all topsy-turvy and the cake somehow formed this gorgeous crust over everything that was so perfectly crisp and contrasted the creamy filling just beautifully (don't ask me how...magic!) Trust my cake to be backwards! The berries created this succulent fruity jammy layer in the middle and the almonds are one of my favourite bits about this, I have a suspicion my ma has noticed I keep nicking the slices with the most nuts on...its the bakers rights don't you think? :)



I don't know how it would turn out if I was to make it again - quite obviously attractively layered as per the original, or the oh-so-yummy but reversed layers like mine! Either way I don't think you can go far wrong taste wise, just check the ingredients and try 'n tell me that they don't spell out scrummy. This is a delicious cake that is much simpler to whip up than you may first think, and is the ideal way to showcase any summery fruit you wish. It will delight cheesecake and cake lovers alike :) 2 in 1 - bonus! So I suggest you get to it and rustle this one up for your loved ones pronto, you wont be disappointed!

Blueberry Cheese Danish Cake
Adapted from Modern Comfort Food
Makes one 9 inch cake

For the cake
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
A pinch of ground nutmeg
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
2 eggs
2/3 cup buttermilk* (or plain yogurt)
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

For the topping
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp all-purpose flour
1 egg
2 tsp lemon zest
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup sliced almonds

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Butter and flour a 9 inch springform pan
For the topping: beat together the cream cheese, white sugar, flour, egg and zest until completely smooth and creamy. Set this aside whilst you make the cake

For the cake: sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Set aside
In a large bowl, beat the butter until light and creamy. Add the brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy
Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition
Alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk, adding 1/2 of each at a time and beating until just combined
Stir in the lemon juice and vanilla. Pour into the cake pan

Spoon the cream-cheese mixture on top of the cake batter and spread it, leaving at least a 1 inch margin of cake batter exposed around the perimeter. Sprinkle the blueberries over the cheese mixture and then sprinkle the almonds around the perimeter onto the exposed cake batter
Bake for 40-50 minutes until the cake is no longer jiggly and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean (unless you hit a blueberry!)
Cool to room temperature before serving

Notes
* I have never-ever bought buttermilk as it's easy to make your own. What I do is to put 1 Tbsp lemon juice (or white vinegar) in a cup then add milk to make 1 cup. Set this mix aside for 10 minutes or so before using. In this recipe, before I started, I added just over 2 tsp lemon juice to the cup when measuring out the milk then swirled it all together in the pint glass seen in the photos


For an optional glaze: once removed from the oven - whisk together 1 Tbsp lemon juice with 1/2 cup icing sugar and drizzle over the top. Personally I think the cake is sweet and lovely enough without :)


 Printable Cakey Goodness

No comments:

Post a Comment