5 September 2011

Cookies and Cream Cookies



I swear I have 2 people living in my brain, or little food gremlins if not people, one that has an insatiable sweet tooth and one that is a sugar allergic diabetic. Or maybe i'm just incredibly indecisive, both are realistic possibilities. In the case of these cookies, upon first bite my sugar hating gremlin decided that these were not the cookies for me. They seemed a bit too sweet, as if the overall taste was simply a plain sugar cookie and slightly letting down my, admittedly rather high, expectations. After that first cookie (emphasis on first) my alter-ego gremlin wouldn't let me rest until I had 'sampled' another..and another..I had 6 cookies the day I made these, embarrassing but true, SIX. That shouldn't be legal, and my dentist may have a few stern words to share with my tooth-rotting gremlin when I see him later today..


Even if these cookies did not quite fulfil my initial expectations, they went down a total storm in my house. My Mum is pretty hard to please as far as cookies go and after the beginning few munches exclaimed 'mmmm, they are just so LIGHT!' A weird adjective to choose I thought, but after pondering about it she has a point, it's far too easy to go back to the cookie jar multiple times without realising and the texture...oh what a hard one to describe! They are soft and slightly chewy, the Oreo pieces soften upon cooking but retain a slight crunch to create little pockets of texture throughout. Yeah, it's safe to say these grew on me and were horrifically addicting. Make at your own risk!


Simple as pie (well, much simpler really!) to whip up a batch...
 Those 2 gaps below may or may not be evidence of my pitiful self-control...

Next time I make these I think I might try and fiddle the recipe a bit. I would make sure not to chop the Oreo's too small, say into roughly 6 pieces (the halves separate as you cut/mix them in so 12 pieces per whole cookie as it were) and maybe even use a few more. I might up the vanilla extract slightly and I'd like to see if I could cut down on the sugar a fraction but I'm not experienced enough really to know how that would alter the cookie spreading wise, any comments on that would be very gratefully received!


I have to admit I actually preferred the taste of the batter to the cookies themselves, I probably ate a fair few in their uncooked form before they ever got a chance but thats the joy of being the one baking hey :) Even if I personally wouldn't choose to make these again (they are not bad by any means, I just know there are just scrummier ones out there for me to discover) my Ma and her boyfriend would be mooorree than happy if i did, so it's all down to personal preference in the end! 

Cookies and Cream Cookies
Adapted from Sweet Tooth
Makes 26-30 cookies

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
6 Tbsp white sugar
6 Tbsp brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
12 Oreo's, chopped into small pieces*

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F
Cream together the butter and sugars until pale and fluffy
Add the egg and vanilla, beat until smooth
Sift in the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix until just combined
Gently fold in the Oreo pieces
Scoop dough onto ungreased cookie sheets 2 inches apart**
Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are just browning***
Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack

Notes
* I thought my pieces may be a little large but in fact found that there were not enough large pockets of oreo. Next time I will chop them slightly larger
** Original recipe uses a medium cookie scoop. I used roughly a dessert spoonful and got 26 cookies. In the end I think I preferred the smaller cookies in the batches so will remember this for next time. I also used baking parchment on my sheets as I did not read the instructions clearly enough!
*** I cooked these in my combination-microwave (oven setting) so they browned on the outside quicker than in a conventional oven, your's will probably be a little paler


      Click for your Cookie Printable

No comments:

Post a Comment