30 May 2012

Oreo Cheesecake-Pie

 Firstly, just to clear up the kind of funny name, this lovely dessert was originally called (Creamy) Oreo Pie. Apart from being made in a pie dish this was, in my opinion, in no way a pie..it was a cheesecake! A delicious refreshing no-bake cheesecake..in a pie dish. I got too many people asking/cheekily mocking about this being a 'pie' to not make a little change of name :)
Now thats over! On to the important stuff. This by FAR exceeded my expectations. I like Oreos as much as the next person but, as you might do, wondered how such a simple recipe with so few ingredients could make anything particularly noteworthy, nice maybe..but not very memorable. How wrong I was! This was definitely noteworthy, and so so easy that I will not hesitate to make it again in the future if I need a last minute impressive dessert that looks like it took hours to make :)
The weather here in England has been phenomenally good these past few days, a little too good for someone that struggles in the heat such as me! But it is so lovely to have knock on a week of uninterrupted sunshine. I didn't even really think about it when I was making this, but it is the perfect treat for such weather. It would go down wonderfully at any event you might have coming up, be it a picnic, barbecue, or just as a lovely dessert to a family meal. I highly recommend this even just for the fact it is so easy for the great results
This is out and out cookies and cream indulgence. I have never craved the flavour combo that much, but I found this utterly irresistible. The Oreos inside soften so the filling is silky smooth, and the Oreo crust (which coincidently I have never made or even tried before!) was quite obviously the perfect compliment to the refreshingly creamy filling.
Fancy a delicious, relatively foolproof way to get multiple compliments and make people think you are a bit of a baking god, by putting in...hmm.. I'd say less than 40 minutes of your time? Then this is the recipe for you :) 
Oreo Cheesecake
Adapted from My Baking Addiction and Kraft Recipes
Makes a 9 inch cheesecake

38 Oreos (divided into 26 and 12)
1/2 stick (1/4 cup, 2oz) butter, melted
8oz cream cheese, softened (N.1)
1/3 cup (66g) sugar
2 cups (480ml) whipped cream (N.2)
5 Oreo cookies for decoration, optional

For the crust:
Crush 26 Oreo cookies (still with filling) until they are fine crumbs, mix with the melted butter until well blended
Pour into a 9 inch pie dish and press firmly to make an even layer on the bottom and sides
Refrigerate whilst you make the filling

For the filling:
Roughly chop/crush up 12 Oreo cookies. Set aside
In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy
Fold in the whipped cream and crushed cookies until the cookies are evenly distributed
Spoon into the crust evenly and refrigerate for at least 2 hours

For the decoration:
Chop 4 cookies in half and position in a circle around the outside of the cheesecake, facing inwards
Separate the last cookie into its 2 parts, and place one of the sides in the middle stamped side up


Notes
(1) Recommend using full-fat cream cheese
(2) IMPORTANT - this is not the same as 2 cups of whipping cream. You can use something like 2 cups of Cool Whip, but as I do not have this readily on hand in the UK I made my own. To do this simply whip 1 cup (240ml) of whipping (double) cream by hand until it reaches soft peaks. Do not over whip to stiff peaks or it will loose volume and not be as fluffy. It takes 30 seconds (a minute at most), watch it carefully!


                     Printable

No comments:

Post a Comment